Christmas 2017 - A mighty plan

Christmas is always an increadibly expensive time of the year for many of us, and we are among the many. Between parents, siblings, nieces, nephews and close friends to buy for I find myself panic buying in the weeks before Christmas - sometimes hitting the mark and other times missing it altogether.

Last year I had my first attempt at Christmas hampers for my family and one close friend. They were, on the whole, a success. My dad particularly loved them. He loved that I had thought enough about what he cooks to include a homemade curry powder and some (in his words) delicious sauces. But I always remember him valuing the handmade gifts the most when we were children. The hand decorated key hook given to him by his grandchildren took pride of place in the kitchen at the farm before they sold it, and it was one of the first things he removed and packed when they were preparing to move.

So this year I'm planning to kick it up a notch. This year I want to create one item per week from now (July) until late November to include in hampers. I might even go so far as to have some themed hampers. I need to investigate what sort of handmade items can be sent to New Zealand as my brother and his wife now live there and were unable to take any of their hamper with them.

Last year my hampers included:
- BBQ sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Chocolate mix and/or Chai Latte mix
- Cookie in a jar recipe
- Christmas themed tea towel
- Baileys



 This year I want to try some relishes, bacon jam, balsamic caramalised onions, vanilla extract,  candied orange, spice mixes/rubs, white chocolate liqueur, honey cinnamon roasted almonds, iced coffee syrup, mustard and fudge.

I'll share the recipes I use here, label options and jars. My plan is to recycle as many jars as possible however, I am planning on purchasing new lids.

Comments